Tuesday, July 9, 2013

be kind

Kindness
"One of the greatest acts you can bestow upon another.  If some one is in need.  Lend them a helping hand.  Do not wait for a thank you.  True kindness lies with in the act of giving with out the expectation of something in return."
*****
Recently I took the boys to the Cedar Rock Railroad.  It is a fantastic quarter-scale train that takes passengers on a 1.3 mile ride through the nature-filled fields of the Williamson County Regional Park.  The boys are both obsessed with trains and it had been a particularly great morning.  Everyone was well behaved and getting along nicely.  As we pulled up to the train depot I realized I only had a $1 bill in my wallet.  I didn't think too much of it and figured I could just pay with my debit card.  After all, the farmer at the farmers market can swipe my card on his iPhone.
We waited in a small line at the depot for the train to come back and pick us up.  As I approached the conductor he informed me that he only accepted cash for the train tickets.  I told him that it wasn't a problem and I would come back with cash.  I held Carson's hand and as I was about to tell him we needed to go find an ATM, a woman behind me, who had just gotten off the train said "I want to buy your tickets."  I was shocked that a perfect stranger would offer such a thing.  I thanked her but told her, she didn't need to do that.  She said "no I insist."  She pointed to my big round belly and said "I have been there and I know how hard it is to be pregnant and have little ones.  Please I want to pay for you."  
She would not take no for an answer.  As she handed the conductor the $5 for our train tickets, I had tears in my eyes (I am a very emotional pregnant woman).  I don't know her nor does she know me but we both know the daily struggles of motherhood.   I was so taken aback by her gracious gesture and I thanked her about 20 times.  I just wanted to hug her.  I kept my hands to myself but I just hope that mother knows how much her random act of kindness meant to me that day.  


It reminded me that there are still kind people in the world.  I immediately felt compelled to pay it forward so on the way home I drove thru Starbucks, got Carson a cake pop and paid for the woman behind me.  
I don't care if the boys grow up to be doctors or janitors.  But I do want them to be gracious.  I want them to be as kindhearted as the woman who bought our train tickets.  To be genuinely nice men.  That would make me the happiest mother.  

No comments:

Post a Comment